Biotin is a B-complex vitamin that helps your body break food into several components. The components are further transformed into energy. You may not have heard the term ‘biotin’ many times, but now it is omnipresent. It mainly comes from the Greek word, ‘Biotos’, which means ‘life-giving’. It is one of the vitamins that can control and manage several body functions necessary for your existence. You will know about the top food sources of biotin along with the benefits today.
Table of Contents
Biotin Rich Foods
Some people call it Vitamin B7, and some call it Vitamin H. It is an essential micronutrient that is very important for metabolization, eye health, teeth health, and bone health. It also governs brain function. Now, if that is not enough, your liver also benefits from biotin. Today, you will get biotin in various forms, including capsules. However, natural food sources are the best.
- Egg Yolks are one of the richest sources of biotin. The yolk is of special mention here. It is always advisable to cook eggs properly to prevent Salmonella poisoning and better absorption of B7 by the body.
- Pulses are another storehouse of biotin. Peas, beans, and lentils, all fall under this category. You can also enjoy peanuts and soybeans as the richest sources. Boiled pulses are a storehouse of nutrients such as proteins as well. So, that is a great combination.
- Nuts and seeds are also rich in biotin or Vitamin H. They are an excellent source of unsaturated fats and can deliver a steady dose of Vitamin E. You can toss them into salads and have them before or after meals. Moreover, you can also have them soaked first thing in the morning.
- Bananas are another common source of biotin. Additionally, they are packed with carbs, copper, and potassium. You can have them on their own or in smoothies. Fitness enthusiasts love to gorge on them before a workout.
Health Benefits of Biotin
You will be amazed to know that biotin controls and manages many body functions. Like the other varieties of Vitamins, biotin helps the body use enzymes and carry nutrients to the essential organs.
- Biotin helps keep your gums healthy so that your teeth are correctly aligned. If you have your biotin intake properly, you can always get strong and healthy teeth. Moreover, you may not need to use braces at all. When you head to the dentist office for mounts or tooth alignment, your doctor will give you similar advice. It is essential that you visit the dentist every six months or annually for a routine checkup. However, taking biotin from natural food sources or at-home supplements can also give strength to your gums and teeth.
- It also regulates metabolism. The Vitamin mainly uses the proteins, fats, and carbohydrates that you ingest from other foods and converts them into multiple energy forms.
- Biotin also plays a crucial role in managing diabetes. It is said to manage the symptoms of diabetes. Moreover, it can also regulate blood sugar levels in specific individuals. Diabetes is known to damage many of the organs. So, when you take sufficient quality of biotin, it can also affect your brain health. It mainly keeps neurological diseases like neuropathy at bay.
- Biotin protects cardiovascular organs. It is said to stimulate blood flow if you consume it regularly. Moreover, it reduces low-density lipoproteins, which reduces the risks of heart attacks.
- Biotin is an essential nutrient that aid in pregnancy and prenatal healthcare. It also helps in breastfeeding. If you take an adequate quantity of biotin while pregnant, it aids the baby as well.
- It helps to keep your hair strong. It is known to improve the hair strands’ shine, health, and volume. Additionally, it also keeps the scalp free from infections. If you experience hair loss and hair thinning, you need to take biotin in adequate quantities. When you cannot get it from food sources, you can also take supplements. You can also get rid of an itchy scalp and dandruff if you regularly take your biotin supplements.
- Biotin also keeps the nails in excellent condition. It also makes them grow much faster. Thus, you should make it a part of your beauty regime.
- Biotin also keeps your skin in good condition. Everyone dreams of smooth and supple skin, but how many have it? Well, now you can have it. Biotin supports fatty acid production, leading to more skin elasticity and softness.
You can have an adequate quantity of Vitamin. It is water-soluble, and the human body is mainly made of water. So, you can never overdose on it, as the body has a natural ability to flush excess of any compounds. However, you may experience some adverse effects. So, keep the quantity below 35 MCG. This is a safe quantity.